Efficient learning process – how to learn in the best possible way?
Many of our users are often asking – how should I learn? Indeed, being able and being good at learning is undoubtedly an important question. Learning to touch type is in no way different process of learning than any other – it consists of 7 parts:
1) Deciding that you are willing to learn touch typing
2) Scheduling your lessons
3) Checking your current speed
4) Doing lessons 1 by one
5) Checking progress
6) Being persistent
7) Loving the results
And now let’ s go through all the parts of the process step by step:
1) Decision that you need to develop your skills (either it’s learning to touch type, to learn to swim fast or to even studying English history) is the beginning of your journey. You have to state to yourself – why you need it and what will the benefits of it be? What is your goal?
Why are these questions important you may ask? Whenever one is starting a new hobby or, for example, starting to study a new subject at school, he or she may feel some frustration or anxiety, because the beginning might not be easy. You may be happy you are starting something new, but you might also get sad when experiencing the first difficulties. That is normal!
Also, setting a measurable goal (for example, words per minute*) is very important in every field – business, sports or education.
So if you have written down your aims and benefits, you can read them through again and again when losing motivation. Yes, you can be the best help to yourself!
*Words per minute in the speed test means – how many words can you write per minute. 1 word = 5 letters including space and symbols.
2) Set up a schedule. Unless you establish a schedule for learning, it is very easy to find an excuse for not practicing.
Be your own mentor and supervisor.
Many schools are using touch typing tools in their everyday work. They also have a schedule which they have to strictly stick to. Imagine you go back to the days you were a kid and take the schedule you have made seriously. So stick to it!
Before you start your studying process, decide upon some funny punishment you can do, so you wouldn’t want to miss a lesson anymore.
3) To find out if you are progressing, you first have to find out where you are currently standing.
Take the speed test and do it as good as you can. Don’t worry if you aren’t happy for the result. You are here to learn! And remember the worse results you are having, the more there is space for your growth!
Write down the results of your speed test or make an account in TypingStudy so you could follow your progress by checking the history of your activities.
4) Do your lessons one by one. It is recommended to do 1 full lesson a day. After every lesson you are recommended to take the speed test.
If you feel like you can’t do so much per day, you can choose typing games to make the learning process more fun. If you choose to play typing games, we suggest you to choose the level according to the lesson you are doing i.e. – if you are doing lesson 1, choose level 1 in the gaming section, if you are doing lesson 2, choose level 2 and so on.
Please, make sure you have at least 30 minutes for each lesson.
5) Measure your own progress. Do you feel more safe than in the beginning? Can you type without looking on the keyboard? Are the results of the speed test getting better? Is your muscle memory working already? If you can answer YES to all of the questions, you are doing great. If NO, keep practicing.
6) Persistence. Only practice makes perfect. There is no magical way to make type perfectly in 5 minutes or 5 days. Being persistent is what good makes excellent! Try to invite your friends or family to join you in this. You may even compete with each other in a speed test or the available typing games! The choice is up to you. However, don’t look for reasons to stop your own progress. Even if nobody wants to join you, it doesn’t matter – you are the digger of your own happiness.
Remember, you in touch typing you can also learn by doing – use social networks or Skype to chat with your friends and family. You will notice that the progress comes in no time.
7) Nothing is sweeter than the taste of victory!
When you see you have reached your goal, you know it has been worth all the trying. However, if you have reached your goal, but you still don’t feel happy about the results, you may set new goals. Challenging yourself!
Now, you have theoretically gone through all the steps. It’s time to get practical!